Information Technology Liability
Information Technology (IT) Liability insurance has been specifically designed for the complex and diverse Information Technology market. It offers a seamless, packaged liability cover for IT products & services, which includes:
- Professional Indemnity insurance; and
- Public and Products Liability insurance.
Legal uncertainty may exist about the nature of the activities provided by IT professionals. For example, it is not always clear as to what is a product (IT goods) and what is a service (IT services).
A PI insurance policy may deem the service being provided to be a ‘product’ (e.g. software design), and hence cover would be excluded under the policy. Whereas, a Public & Products Liability insurance policy may deem the product to be a ‘service’, and hence exclude cover under that policy.
Information Technology Liability insurance overcomes this potential gap in cover for IT professionals
Information Technology Liability insurance may cover:
- financial losses arising from the supply or installation of products or services when products fail to perform their intended function;
- financial losses arising from a loss of documents or data;
- financial losses arising from an unintentional infringement of a third party’s intellectual property rights;
- financial losses arising from unintentional defamation, including libel and slander;
- legal liability to pay compensation for personal injury or damage to property caused by an occurrence connected with insured’s business.